Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stunning

There's a bunch of perspective posts on nytimes.com about the mosque that isn't a mosque and isn't at the world trade center (stop calling it "ground zero" you fucking retards), and I'm stunned by the vile bigotry of Kathryn Jean Lopez (editor of the vile National Review Online), and the Times' willingness to even print it on their website. You can see where this is going immediately:

On Aug. 13, President Obama held a Ramadan dinner at the White House and announced that “this is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakeable.” This is a statement I absolutely agree with, and I wish that Western countries would be inspired by the hat tip to our founding principles.

When you’ve taken as many positions on as many issues as Obama has, you start to lose your credibility.
The president went on to say, “I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country. That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in Lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances.”

I agree with that, too. I’m a Catholic who sees threats to religious liberty increasing here at home -- largely by legislative fiat -- and I'm earnest about ensuring its protection for us all.

But I also think that to build an Islamic center near ground zero is an imprudent move.


Because I association Islamic community centers with terrorism, which makes me a hideous bigot.

If Islam had a pope, he might advise the Cordoba House developers as much...


But they don't because Muslims are savages.

Kathryn Jean Lopez, may Google cache this for all time, it is your shame and if you had even a shred of dignity, you'd recant.

No comments: